Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Toxic by Rachel Van Dyke


Before I start ranting about how interesting this book was, let me just say that this, like all the other Van Dyke's work, is not you're typical love story. This book has some factors that I absolutely loved, some I didn't loved so much. Don't get me wrong, this book was amazing, it just wasn't as easy going as I thought. Then again, when is Rachel's work easygoing. There is Ruin, which as I said in my Ruin Posy, it completely shattered me. Now, Unlike Ruin, toxic deals with themes stronger and much more heartbreaking. It deals with a guy trying to be a hero, and selfishly choosing the wrong options when life is giving him so much more. Its about a girl who loves a guy so much she's willing to take whatever she can as long as she can be with the guy
 she loves. Lets start...... 
Despite the stronger theme in this book, I didnt cried at all in this one. I didnt connect with Gabe as much as I wanted t
o. I didnt thought he was a hero, but thats because he wasnt. And I relaized this at the end of the book, the fact that the actual hero was Saylor. This is where the story gets different. Because Gabe wasnt Gabe but the famous Ashon Parker. I'll explain.... 
 
Boy meets girl 
Girl meets boy
Boy has a dark secret
Girl wants to know what it is
Girl falls for boy
Boy reveals secret 
Secret almost tears them apart
Girl wants to be part of Boy's life even if Boy doesn't love her as much as she loves him 
Boy chooses girl  
Girl and Boy get married
Happily Ever After

I know what you're thinking. "That's not so bad Yazmin" Okay, if you read the book, you know its bad. You know that Kim had to die in order for them to be together. That rubs me the wrong way, because for a character to have to die for the main ones to be together is never okay. I love a happy ending, but in this case, I thought Saylor deserved so much more than what Ashton offered her. But again, don't get me wrong. The dynamic and the journey of this characters amazed me so much. I wanted to love Gabe but I just didn't had it in me. 

Gabe had a secret. He had a secret so big and couldn't let go of it. This secret was a fiance on a mental facility. A long time ago, an accident happened and it left Kim paralyzed and left Gabe guilty and always blaming himself for this event. But it wasn't his fault. I mean, yeah he did create the accident, but after so long he couldnt let go of it. Until Saylor comes along. 

I loved Saylor with all my heart. She was an amazing character and I even though i thought she deserved more than what she got, I'm happy she got the hapily ever after she wanted. 

The music factor in this story melted my heart. The fact that Gabe and Saylor connected through the music..... It was amazing. It gave me chills every time  (although most of the time I thought of Ashton Parker as a parallel Justin Bieber)

I got so mused with Wes. Wes will always be my favorite character in this series. His love and the support he has for Gabe made me love him even more.  And his wise words made me melt every time
 
Even though this book didn't reach my expectations, it didn't loose that spark Van Dyke puts in all her books.

*I read this book with my amazing friend Rheeza. You can find her blog in  https://callowaybooks.wordpress.com/*

I love books and I hope you do too!
FR


No comments:

Post a Comment